Well, I had a bit of trouble last week with my printing not lining up, so I wasn't able to sew in the signatures until today.
So, without further delay, here's how I sewed in the signatures.
Because of the size of the diagonal fold pocket folder, it is very hard to add a lot of signatures. I only added 3. They measure approximately 3 1/2" x 4 7/8".
I then measured and marked 1" from the top and bottom and the center of the signatures. Since there were so few, I put them all together.
I then inserted an awl into each mark, going through all three signatures.
Using the signatures for guidance, I aligned them where I wanted them inserted into the folder and then marked and pierced for those holes. I chose to put them along the natural crease along the diagonal folds. (It would be interesting to explore other placement for them, an idea I will tuck away for another time.)
Then using wax thread and a needle I sewed the signatures in with a pamphlet stitch. A pamphlet stitch creates a kind of figure eight - 8.
Starting from the outside, insert the needle into the center hole of the signatures and the folder. Then you go into the top hole
then down through the bottom hole and you will have both the beginning and end piece of your thread on the outside.
In order to create an endless looking loop to the stitch, I wrapped the end that just came out of the bottom hole under the first loop
then double knotted the thread and cut off the excess.
Now my signatures are secure.
I also created the insert pages for the diagonal fold,
Throughout the week I am planning to do the illustration for those pullouts. The bottom pocket pull-outs measure roughly 2 1/4 x 2 3/4 with the diagonal cutting off one corner. The top pocket pullout measures approximately 5 3/4" x 3 7/8".
Next week, I will show the illustrations for the pullouts, the completed book and have the introduction to next month's book.
Happy Book Binding!