I am changing the order of things around just a bit because I realised I needed to have the exact measurements of the pockets in order to create the content for them. I also decided to break it up into 2 parts, Part 1 - folding the folder, Part 2 - adding signatures.
Part 1 -
Hedi Kyle's Diagonal Pocket Folder
12" x 20" text weight paper
You begin with the 12" x 20" paper, vertically situated, pattern side down. Measure and mark the centre of the paper, then fold each side to the middle mark.
I did run the bone folder over these folds so that they were clearly defined. Next, unfold the sheet and measure and mark from the bottom three lines each 4" apart. I then scored,
with my bonefolder, each set.
You should end up with this:
Now, fold both corners of the long fold in, see below:
Flip the entire fold up and on the small fold (created between #2 and #3) fold those corners.
It should look like this after the corners are folded down.
Flip the entire paper over and fold in the sides, like this:
This is the trickest part. On each side, unfold, pop and flatten along the scored line to form a kite shape.
It helps to keep in mind, when you are unfolding and popping the kite shape that the end of the paper needs to maintain the point.
A common error is to not unfold enough, in this case, the end will not make a point, like this:
|tucking of the kite shapes|
Now using the edges of the pockets as your guide, fold it into a folder.
For the final folds, I did not use a bonefolder to crease the folds. Since I am adding additional materials to the inside, I wanted to make sure there's enough room before I finalize those folds.
So there it is. Folder done. Part 2 I will post in a couple of days and that will be adding the signatures. Then I'll be back next week to show the additional content.
Happy Book Binding!