I decided to go with glue several pieces of paper together. It would have been possible to just use thick (300lb.) watercolour paper but I felt the glue between the sheets of paper would be stronger than just thick paper.
I will only be showing the process for the color red. It is the same process for the other colours, orange, yellow, green, blue and violet.
Creating the Pages
I started first with crumpling the paper, then glued four sheets together. And then set the pages under a weight to dry. It does take a couple of days for the sheets to dry.
Here's the result-
I added the crumpling to add some texture. It also meant I didn't have to struggle so much making sure everything was aligned and not puckering.
Then, using my templates, I marked, traced and cut out all the shapes.
Using straight right out of the tube acrylic colour, I paint each page the colour needs to be. In this case, it was red.
Using straight from the tube colour is rarely recommended. But I want the consistency and visual look to the colour that can only come from straight from manufacturing.
Now, what you can't see is some more strengthening of paper I felt I need to do. So I also added a layer of Clear Acrylic Top Coat spray and a layer of Mod Podge.
If when I'm binding the book, I feel the strength still isn't strong enough. I will adhere each page with a clear acetate sheet. But I'm feeling very confident in the strength right now, so I will let you know next week if I had to add the extra support.
The last step was to add a central circle to each page.
It represents the light and will serve as a guide to align up all the pages.
The same process was done to create all the other pages.
Next week, the binding of book.
Until then, Happy Book Binding!